"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city."
George Burns

Saturday, June 25, 2011

my youngest and myself





The month of June will mean a lot of different things to my family, especially this year. With Emily's wedding happening just two weeks ago and all the preparations that were required to make it an unforgettable evening, our minds were immersed in ivory lace, purple hydrangeas and tuxedo rentals. Within days of the knot being tied, David and Austin climbed aboard an airplane headed for Zimbabwe, Africa. My nest, which was the bustling hub of wedding preparations, boxes for moving, garage sale items for fundraising and suitcases for travel seemed to be transformed overnight into a peaceful and spacious domicile for the two birds who remained.
Adam and I have done this before, so we are much more adept at it this second time through. Last summer, David traveled with Emily and Austin to the same continent to minister to the people in the same villages. It was at that time that I learned what Adam and I would have to overcome if we were to be left to our own accord. 
The good news is we both love fish sticks and watermelon. Shopping for Adam and I can be tricky. Adam likes to eat processed food...and so do I. But, he also likes to eat watermelon, grapes and apples. When I hit the stores, I could easily fill the basket with foods that he and I would both enjoy and I wouldn't have to hear from the health conscious people who live in our home--because they aren't around. But, I know that since I am "the mother", I have to choose instead to add to our bounty some wonderful fruit. I have to opt for better food choices for the two of us. 
The bad news is that we are both completely comfortable being alone. We can ride in the car and not talk. We can go for long stretches of time without too much conversation. Like Anne Lamott says in her book bird by bird, "Left to its own devices, my mind spends much of its time having conversations with people who aren't there", I can spend an entire day without talking to anyone and have plenty of conversations. Adam is like his mother. And so the challenge becomes to talk. To share. Open up and grow closer. This year we are doing better than last year. Perhaps that is because he isn't as dependent on me for simple things, like transportation. His ability to control a tiny portion of his world seems to be drawing him back around to me when he is stuck with me for later part of the day.  Perhaps it is because I have made efforts to be interested in what he is interested in. I know all about Game of Thrones...(my favorite character being Daenerys Targaryen, {aka-Khaleesi} she's so strong and reminds me of myself when I was 17 and ruled the land with my 3 pet dragons!) and I even sat through Green Lantern.
So, we are over half way through our 16 days home alone, and it appears that we will come away closer than before everyone left us here in our little nest to tend to the cats and the dog and summer school. And, having had two summers in a row where June was my time with Adam, I am so thankful for the timing and the ways of the Lord. He had given us what we could handle and allowed us to not only survive--but to thrive.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful picture! (Found your blog from Six Word Saturday)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're both beautiful ... well ... Adam is a very nice looking young man! How old is he?

    Josiah and I are both quiet and comfortable in our silence. Actually my husband is too! The pastor who did our premarital counseling asked who was going to talk in our family!! We told him it would be the kids (2 came as a package deal with hubby) and they did! Those older 2 were chatterboxes. Josiah was just born with an innate calm and gentle spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful people in your photo and beautiful moments spent connecting and sharing.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete