"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city."
George Burns

Saturday, July 16, 2011

The End of a Charming Era

Linking today with:
I had no idea the first time I heard of Harry Potter, the impact a silly little book, about an 11-year-old orphan, would have on my family. I had no idea that these fictional characters would capture my heart. In fact, I was in the opposite camp at first. Yep, I was on the "Anti Harry Potter Bandwagon" in the late 90's.

But, then Emily's teacher began to read the books to her class. Uh-oh! Parent Alert!  Parents, at our church, began to ask David his opinion on the books. Yikes! Youth Pastor Alert! So, we were placed in the position to read them and to *gasp* think for ourselves. 

I fought it at first. There were a lot of rumors about the "darkness" that would be coming in the books as the series progressed. But, eventually, I unlocked the door to the cupboard under the stairs and I gave Harry free reign to the household. I never found a spell in any of the books, and the themes were of friendship and love. In the end, it was fear that kept people in hiding and the only thing that the Dark Lord could not conquer was Love. 

I am so thankful for the series of events that lead our family down the path to Platform 9 and three quarters. It has been a thrilling journey that our family has shared together (with the likes of that wonderful trio and their faithful friends and disparaging foes). This 7 book/8 movie series came about at a time in the lives of my children when they were just grasping with their own definitions of ethics, morals and principals and we were able to engage in some great discussions about slavery, racial prejudices, and good verses evil.

Not to mention, from our time at Hogwarts, we learned that owls are a great way to deliver messages, if your rat lives for 13 years--have it checked for spells, and, finally, when traveling by flue--enunciate. It was just fun. And, is that so scary?

8 comments:

  1. Amazingly put and so well said! As a Christian, I often times find myself having to defend the fact that I have read the books/seen the movies, and even worse yet in some people's opinions have allowed my oldest to read them/see them, and will allow my youngest to as well! So sad it's over but it was so worth the ride! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. We all love Harry Potter too. My 10 year old just finished the first book and another HP fan was born! I will miss all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have a great weekend! (Found your blog from Six Word Saturday!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of them, or watched the movies, but Josiah has enjoyed them and was at the local IMAX theater with friends at 3:00 Friday morning to see the new one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Harry Potter! I'm excited because I am finally seeing this last movie in the theater...I rented all of the other ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read the books or seen all the movies I have seen maybe 2 of them. I think it's great for kids though =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read the books or seen the movies but I'm glad you found them all to be enjoyable.

    Thanks for playing 6WS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never scary to me but all fun! Fun even more when I strolled the moors over where Harry and Ron flew the car :) I'm glad to find another Potter fan in Blogsville. Visiting you back from ABC Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete