"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city."
George Burns

Monday, January 24, 2011

Eating apples


Today when I was talking with Austin about memories and the importance of us sharing our memories with one another, he gave me of one I didn't have. He mentioned that one of his earliest memories was of the morning that his little sister, Molly, died. His memories were in snippets:

-firetrucks
-paramedics
-coming into the room while his Dad was shaking Molly, trying to wake her
-eating apples

Considering that Austin was just barely a 4-year-old on that 31st morning of January when Molly went to be with the Lord, I shouldn't be surprised that his "list" of memories is something similar to an episode of Sesame Street. It's kind of like playing the game "One of These Things is Not Like the Other". The first three go together, in the tragic reality of what that morning was. The forth is so random.

But, I know immediately the reason he remembers the apples. It was because of a neighbor. One of our neighbors at the time, and I sadly only remember the name of her son, David (who was also 4 at the time) heard the sirens as the fire department entered into our tract of homes in the quiet city of Placentia, California and she came to see what was happening.

How I appreciate this woman in her boldness to walk up to our home and into the scene. She volunteered to take my children to her home so that we could leave with the ambulance. The police would have kept Emily and Austin, and most likely would have found the additional baby, our Adam, in his crib in a back bedroom. But, how much fear would have come with that experience. Instead, this sweet neighbor took my three little innocents to her home and gave them a snack. While they sat eating apples, she called the school to tell them that Emily would not be in Kindergarten that day, and perhaps for a few.

I wish that life had happened differently, but I am thankful that my young son's memories are of eating apples when our world was being tilted off it's axis. For truth and pain would come soon enough.


7 comments:

  1. You've made it so read I am crying. I love the way you are capturing all these memories on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still remember that day...love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, whose to say where the harvest will stop...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank for writing about a time that must have been so hard. It gave me an idea of how I can react and help sometimes- something so simple as a place to be safe and have a snack. May your day be filled with His love and grace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting from Ann's blog today. A beautiful story of grace in the midst of tragedy. Such a kind neighbor, if only we would all reach out to others in their distress as she did. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This made me cry as well. I have a friend and her children staying at my house because of their situation. Your blog helped me put a few things in perspective. I went into a panic mode, trying to keep things clean, frustrated at my life being strained by their presence. And I ignored their feelings in reaction to this crisis. Thank you for softening my heart and remembering what is really important, because it sure isn't the laundry and dishes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am moved to read your words and story. apples. and God is good and faithful even when we don't know or maybe never know all. He does always have gifts I think. We might not know what they are at the time but looking back they are treasures that comfort.
    you are so brave to share like you do and let God use your pain to comfort others and to see you bloom and grow...thank you for sharing with me today..for taking the time.
    xo:)

    ReplyDelete